Friday, January 2, 2009

Name that house?

For many years now I have been intrigued by the way the British name their homes.  It started while reading C.S. Lewis over 15 years ago.  His home was called "The Kilns".  You know we Americans name everything we own practically or assign gender to them at the very least.  I have been trying to think of something creative to name our home.  Madhouse seems appropriate, Poopie House also very accurate, Hormone Manor also a fine description, but I want to name it something elegant and regale. 

Most of the houses in England are named after a distinguishing feature of their house like "Red Oak House", Two Chimney Place or after animals "Fox Manor" but they can be named anything and for any reason.  If you have never thought about naming your house give it a thought and let me know what you come up with.  If me and the family come up with a good name I will post it.

Happy New Year!

7 comments:

Melissa B said...

How about "Harbor House" Or "Cherish Manor" or maybe "Care Cottage" :)

Bones said...

awww, those are so sweet, Melissa! I have trouble with pulling creativity out of my butt. I'm at a loss. I like those tho! Poopie palace is fitting, but I like harbor house!

The Wife said...

Anxiety Alley, Chaotic Castle. My house not yours.

K-Dogg said...

on my block, all of our houses look the same so this is a tough one. maybe, "The Whinery" or "Play Pen" or "The House With A Fire Hydrant" would work.

Zombie said...

The shout box. House Of Leaky Faucets

The Wife said...

Yes, Zomies has found the perfect name for our house. "The Shout Box." We are loud, loud, loud.

The Wife said...

I wish for once I could leave a comment without a typo!

Post a Comment