Friday, December 5, 2008

One year ago...

I am sitting in one of my favorite BBQ places enjoying some smoked turkey with all the "fixins", talking with my boss about something or nothing and the phone rings.  I usually do not answer while at lunch because it is rude first of all and anything of importance can always wait until I am done digesting right?  I knew we were on the list for foster placement however so I decided to answer it.  It was indeed Heather calling saying we have a possible little boy. Rylan our second foster son had gone to live with his grandmother just a couple weeks before so we were anxious for another placement.  She said his mother had tested positive for several drugs and that she had given up several children before this one.  He would however, need open heart surgery in a couple months to correct a congenital heart defect and they needed a family to get him through that before he went to live with his grandparents.  I told her to get more information and call me back.  I would not normally consider this because of the medical needs however something made me say YES when she called back.  I think in the back of my mind I was thinking that the grandmother would get him so we would only be taking care of him for a couple months.

Since that day every time I get a moment to myself I wonder about all the children we have declined for one reason or another.  Did I make the right call?  What about all the wonderful children that I will never get to meet?  What if I had turned down baby T?  Overwhelming.

Yesterday my little boy turned one year old and I have to say he lights up my world.  When I get home from work he is there with his chubby little fingers on the gate saying "Da Da" through is half toothed grin!  Melts me every time. 

Happy Birthday Baby T!  Daddy Loves you! 

3 comments:

The Wife said...

Happy Birthday T! What an awesome family you will share.

Burkulater said...

How wonderful! There's nothing better than hearing those words from one of your little ones.

Bones said...

He's precious. I can't imagine life without him. I hope I never have to! ONLY 1 MONTH AND 4 DAYS TIL THE APPEAL PERIOD IS UP!

Post a Comment