Monday, November 3, 2008

Something in the air

Update: This is a repost. I took this down originally and my wife insisted I put it back up so here it is...

Wow is all I can articulate at the moment. I am a youth worker at our church, I am a small group leader on Wednesday nights and I lead a small group every other Sunday night at "My best good friends" house. We have a rather large group of pre-teens and teens every Wednesday. We combine them and the middle school pastor and the high school pastor tag team on Wednesday night. We have student led worship and generally a ton of fun.

Tonight there was something in the air, I could feel it the moment the middle school pastor shook my hand, something was different. The service started out as normal, the Price is Right game where they guess how much various items cost, the announcements, the small groups where we prepare them for service by asking questions that relate to the topic of the night, then the worship began and the mood changed immediately the air was electrifying the sense of God was palpable. It began slowly as a wave I could see it from the sound booth the hands going up, one, then three or four more, then whole sections, then the whole auditorium, then the middle school pastor, way of script, got up and spoke from his heart about what God was telling him and what he wanted the students to know, it got to the heart of the where the students were, then the high school pastor in a perfect tag team with God came back to the booth and picked up his Bible and canceled every other graphic, music, special event and went on stage and began to deliver what was on his heart out of the book of Revelations. He spoke passionately about how it is better to be cold and away from God or Hot and on fire for God than to be luke warm and complacent in the middle. The alter call was who wants to get closer, who wants to walk hand in hand, who wants more of God. Nearly every hand in the auditorium was raised. It was truly a wonderful experience. I regret my wife was not there to see her daughters raise their hand unashamed during worship, and answer the call to get closer to God. I hope this continues, I hope this is the beginning of a revival in our youth. I hope this is a moment of change in my girls! I hope this is a launching point for the youth pastors to follow Gods heart and lead with an open mind and a open heart! This is what our hurting teens need a true experience with God.

3 comments:

The RockStar said...

Very cool. We ran our church senior high group for awhile ... they teach you just as much as you teach them about faith ... if not more. It was an amazing time and I wish more people were willing to work with our youth.

The Wife said...

Awesome story. My husband is the Youth Pastor at our church. It is an amazing thing to be a part of. The groups change so much from year to year. It's not easy to always get your pulse on it. It sounds like you are heading in a good direction. Praise God!

Unknown said...

First, thanks for posting on my blog re my having trouble uploading pictures.

I'm so glad that your wife had you put this post back up and that I came across it. It's a long story, but I've missed feeling the presence of God in such a strong way.

It really warms your heart to see your kids worshipping, doesn't it! My daughter asked to be baptized when she was 9 years old. She had an innocent, strong faith in the Lord back then. I still hold on to that and know that she'll be back some day! (She's 20 now and has said she doesn't believe in God for several years now. I know better.)

Post a Comment