Monday, March 23, 2009

Roots

Even the biggest tree you can imagine grew from a tiny little seed.  Once planted the seed extends its root system down into the soil and absorbs the nutrients from the soil.  The bigger the tree the larger the root system.  If you go to transplant a tree from one location to another you must dig up the entire root system to go with it for it to survive.

Everyone of us has our own roots.  Our roots are our life experiences with each new experience our root system gets larger and larger. Like the tree our root system is transplanted with us.  I went back to my roots this past week.  I went back to small town North Carolina where I grew up and lived until I was 34.  This part of my root system of course makes up the lions share of my roots. 

 

My roots are old country roads, drinking SunDrop and Cheerwine while enjoying a nice Moonpie on the porch,

Cheerwine signGirlShadow moon_pie

 

a pace of life that is slow and deliberate, a country draw that is equally slow and deliberate, tall evergreens and trees everywhere, vibrant eye popping fall colors, long muggy summer nights with the nightly thunderstorm rolling through, cruising the strip in downtown Concord in my brothers old Trans Am,  the old Sears building in downtown where our band used to practice, Chips (of Squids fame of course) music store where we would go to scope out new gear,

redpig

The Red Pig where we would go for greasy food, the long grandeur of the houses on Union street in Concord, a clear reminder of a simpler time with the large plantation style housing and huge trees lining each side of the street reeking of history,

11_a

2462170759_fc9b47820e

of course NASCAR!  NASCAR was born on the back roads of North Carolina where they used to tork up their cars to haul their moonshie and stay one step ahead of the law.  The idol worship of our native son No. 3!DaleEarnhardtSr.

it’s old friends and memories everywhere I look.  We were staying about an hour away from where I grew up but I still managed to see someone I knew at the local Wal-Mart. 

No matter where I live I will always be connected in a very deep way to this part of God’s creation for it is in my roots.

Feel free to leave memories of your roots.

1 comments:

Zombie said...

My wife makes fun of me for liking Moon Pies. Although, one day I was feeling nostalgic and bought a case of them from Sam's club and I think after 4 years, the majority of the box are sitting in the pantry. I should probably eat them.

Post a Comment