Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I pledge my children to Heaven

“Oh no matter whatever the cost, I'm gonna count all things lost.
Well I pledge my son, I pledge my wife, I pledge my head to heaven”

This is one of my favorite lyrics.  It was written by a man named Keith Green in a song called I Pledge my head to heaven”.  Keith knew what it meant to follow Christ.  He knew he had to die to himself he had to put God before all things he held dear.  He had to pledge his children, his wife, and even his own head to heaven to pursue the gospel.

This week another little one is going home and as I was sitting writing my goodbye letter to her these lyrics popped into my head.  I have to sacrifice my desires and my plans for the plans God has.  It is difficult but I have to pledge my children to Heaven.  We did our part to be the vessel when called upon to fill a void in their lives and I am determined to be grateful that I got to be a part at all instead of all the what if’s or concentrating on what I will miss in their lives. 

Each time I sit down to write on of these letters that is the hardest part.  I imagine all the phases of their lives and I can see them growing in my minds eye and it makes me long to want to be there for every moment.  Every tee ball game or every dance recital, every first step, every lost tooth, every first and every last, every sorrow and every joy.

God called me to be above the moment, to be above my desires, He called me to pledge my Children to Heaven, and to count all things as lost for the gospel.

My heart breaks but my purpose is fulfilled….

2 comments:

Bones said...

That is a wonderful song to me, because we had Danielle sing it at Hannah & Tara's baby dedications. No matter. Whatever the cost. Count all things as lost. I knew I could never be a parent unless I first reconciled in my mind they are not MY children. That is why this song means to much to me. They are not mine; they are HIS. This would be a wonderful anthem for foster care.

The Wife said...

Beautiful. You are an amazing dad and husband.

Post a Comment