Monday, October 27, 2008

Officially, somewhat, maybe, could be interested...

Both of my biological daughters have had this aversion to anything physical or team related all their lives.  I have tried to get them interested in team sports from the time they were very little.  I wanted them to develop the team building of a team sport as well as the exercise they would get while participating.  They have inherited some of my bad genes unfortunately.  I can look at food and gain weight.  I can eat a 100% cholesterol free diet and still have high cholesterol.  It is genetics at its worst.  They did get my striking good looks so I guess it is a toss up right? 

Through their friends at church they now realize that team sports can be fun and rewarding.  The oldest wants to play soccer and the youngest wants to play volleyball.  We are going to give it a go the next available opportunity.  They are both very interested in reading so it is hard to pull them away from their books to get them out but I think we may have an opportunity with this.

I didn't force them to participate in sports when they were younger because I knew it would be unsuccessful if they didn't want to do it.  Not sure if that was the right approach or not looking back.  We signed them up for several non-sports related things growing up but none of them really stuck.  The point was not to force them to do anything but let them at least experience it and see if that is what they enjoyed or not.  I probably should have done that with sports as well just to give them the experience to decide for themselves.  Maybe I will take a different approach with Baby K and Baby T-money if we get to adopt them.  I have a feeling I will have a lot more chances to get it right or at least more right!

2 comments:

just another mother said...

sweet - I can't wait to see those pics of those girls!!! we did the same w/ big E. we let him decide on TaiKwon Do. He loves it, he took a 2 year break then begged to go back - so he's baaa--aaacckkkkkkk. Yay H&T~~~I'm excited!!

The RockStar said...

I am unsure if practice makes perfect, but they are only children ... not permanently damagable, right? No pressure.

Maybe if speed-reading were offered as a sport it would work, no? My eyeballs are scary fast. The rest of me ... not so much

Post a Comment