Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Answer the Question Already!

First of all please do not report me to child protective services but...  I made my 13 and 11 year old daughters watch the debate last night.  I knew they were not interested but I wanted them to get an idea of what there future is and how this election with affect them.  Probably and exercise in futility and more of a punishment than a civics lesson but they suffered through it.

Now to my point.  It drives me crazy listening to politicians talk sometimes.  They were asked very specific, pointed questions in the debate last night and neither of them would answer the questions given they would just spout out their "Plans" whether they were relevant to the question or not.  That is one thing my 11 year old noticed.  She asked "Did he answer the question?"  I said "No sweetie he didn't even come close".   They were too busy pointing fingers at each other and their respective parties to answer the questions.  "Obama voted for raising your taxes 97 times!"  If you don't know the secret of congress here it is:  They vote against funding the troops because somewhere deep in that bill to fund the troops is a "goodie" or "pork barrel" expenditure for growing mold in Alaska or something totally irrelevant to the bill itself but something that benefits the author of the bill.  Without the line item veto they have to pass or fail the bill as a whole so great legislation gets voted down all the time because there it junk in the bill likewise bad legislation gets passed sometimes.  Don't believe either candidate when they claim the other voted to kill puppies 27 times.  The part about killing puppies was attached to a bill that promotes better education so instead of throwing the baby out with the bath water they pass the bill that also kills puppies.

NOTE: No puppies were actually harmed during this post nor was there ever a bill that killed puppies it was just a ridiculous example to make a point.

3 comments:

Bones said...

I think they survived without permanent psychological impairment. Whew!

junglemama said...

It is great that you had them watch the debate. It is important for our kids to have a clue as to what is going on in our country.

I think that what you are doing with your family as a whole is simply wonderful.

The RockStar said...

I am against killing puppies.

I am against throwing babies out with the bath water

I am against not answering questions

I make it a point to be against things during this political season.

Post a Comment