Monday, October 5, 2009

Nary a Regret

The trophy wife and I were talking the other day on a long ride home about our lives before we had brains.  She asked if I had any regrets about how I lived my life or things that I had done.  I didn’t have to think long because I have already pondered this question many times in my own head. 

While there are a couple hair styles I would rather not have sported I have nary a regret.  Every choice that I have made either good or bad has brought me to where and who I am today.  Even some of the bad decisions, like being lazy in the first couple of jobs I had, or not going to college, could be seen as mistakes or regrets but each of those taught me something.  I developed a good work ethic as a result of being fired a couple of times.  If I had gone to college then perhaps my wife and I would have never met, married, and had children.  Each experience whether good or bad has shaped the way I think and the outlooks I have. 

I think we parent this way.  We guide our children and advise them but where not dangerous we let them make their own mistakes.  If we see them making the same mistakes over and over again then we have to give more guidance. 

 

When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.    ~Alexander Graham Bell

1 comments:

Burkulater said...

So true. Sometimes I wish I could go back. Sometimes, I realize my past is useful to my future.

Post a Comment